Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What's a CEREC?










So part of my mouth makeover involves undoing some patchwork from the past. If you've ever gotten a filling, it was probably the traditional metal one. A couple of problems - they can wear out in 10-12 years, and actually lead to a tooth to crack - often requiring major pain to fix. They can also discolor the gums - you may have seen those people with that black line on their gums. Not to mention those fillings just aren't fun to get, strapped into your dentist's chair getting your tooth filed down. I'm going to get 3 of my old metal fillings replaced with CEREC fillings -but first, Dr. Powell found a cavity that needed filling first. I now have my first CEREC - and I have to tell you, it was the coolest thing I've ever seen at a dentist's office. First, a computer scanned my tooth - Dr. Powell made some adjustments on the monitor. Then, in a matter of minutes, a diamond cut this little cube into my tooth-colored filling, which was applied to my tooth. Quicker and easier than those old-school fillings, and not scary as all.

No comments: